Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wikis 101

The video in the lesson did a good job of explaining what a wiki is.
This was interesting. I remember when I first heard about Wikipedia. Some people thought it didn't contain accurate information, and I didn't really understand why they thought that. I don't know if registration was required initially, but obviously some people thought anyone could edit the articles.
I looked at several of the wikis listed and found that on most of them registration was required to edit, but there was a lot of information and other links available without being a member. I enjoyed the ALA Chapter Wiki, where I went to Texas Library Association.
I see how wikis could be very helpful to a library, I thought about a Friends organization having one to help plan programs and fund raisers, etc.

No comments: